The American Youth Foundation inspires people to discover and develop their personal best, to seek balance in mental, physical, social, and spiritual living and to make a positive difference in their communities and in the wider world.
Media specialists connect the camper experience with families by organizing photos, blog entries, slideshows, and for families to access online throughout the season. Their photography is also used in online and printed marketing materials throughout the year. Summer 2022 will include two weeks of paid staff training beginning June 16, followed by two three-week camp sessions ending August 14.
- Document daily life at camp by photographing a wide range of activities, Village groups, and staff. Work with Communications Manager to fulfill a shot list of required photos for year-round communications needs.
- Organize, tag, and upload photos twice weekly to SmugMug to share with camp families
- Write and upload short daily blog posts documenting life at camp to WordPress
- Collect and organize photos from Four Trails Villages when they return from trips
- Keep camp cameras charged and in good working condition. Responsible for lending cameras to trip leaders and program leaders as needed.
- Order prints of each Village group photos so each camper gets a copy by Closing Day.
- Create Closing Day slideshows for families and staff
- On occasion, assist with a Pioneer or Four Trails Village at the request of the coordinators.
- Promptly discuss any difficult situations that arise in camper or staff relationships and other areas of concern with the Communications Manager and Director
- Establish personal and professional goals for the summer and work toward those goals
- Complete all job functions, including requested records and written reports, and other duties as assigned.
- Encourage leadership development, healthy community living, Best Self practices and balanced Four-Fold growth according to the philosophy of AYF by instruction and example.
- Protect the safety and health of campers by adhering to community expectations and following all policies and procedures outlined in the Staff Handbook, including our alcohol-, drug-, and tobacco-free camp policy and AYF COVID-19 Staff Eligibility and Expectations.
- Fully participate in and be present at all community activities and staff training
- Basic photography composition and digital camera skills
- Effective written communication skills
- Strong emotional and mental health. Must be adaptable and exhibit good judgement.
- Effective communication with youth participants and adult staff across a wide range of identities and backgrounds. Ability to foster positive relationships.
- Ability to understand, promote, actively include, and work effectively with diverse perspectives and identities
- Thorough understanding of critical issues shaping the lives of young people in the U.S., especially racial and gender equity, inclusivity, justice, ethics, and cultural competency
Vision for All AYF Employees
- Show commitment to the AYF Core Values of safety, respect, responsibility, stewardship, and inclusion.
- Support the organization’s mission, vision, and ethics by displaying the following behaviors:
- Integrity, openness, and honesty, listening and understanding, giving, and receiving constructive feedback, seeking a balance between personal and professional lives, dependability, and accountability.
- Adhere to all policies and guidelines as described in the AYF employee handbook.
- Position is located at Merrowvista in Center Tuftonboro, New Hampshire. The Merrowvista site necessitates the ability to move through rugged terrain.
- Media Specialists will live onsite during staff training and during the two camp sessions. Housing and all meals are provided.
Education, Experience, or Certifications
- Must be 18 or older and one year post-high school graduation experience
- Basic digital photography and editing experience required
- Experience working with children, adolescents and/or young adults required
- Current certification in CPR and First Aid (training available for accepted applicants)
- Seasonal pay: $4,000
- Referral Bonus: $200 paid at the end of summer for each hired employee the applicant refers
- Media Specialists will receive one day off for every six days worked.
Recognizing the full value of all, the American Youth Foundation affords equal opportunity for employment and program participation to all individuals based on merit and / or eligibility without regard to race, color, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, familiar status, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, military status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required for this position. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.