Community Care Specialist
The American Youth Foundation inspires people to discover and develop their personal best, to seek balance in mental, physical, social, and spiritual living and to make a positive difference in their communities and in the wider world.
The Community Care Specialist is a seasonal position, responsible for support and communication of campers and the larger community related to social emotional wellbeing. This position serves on a team of individuals who collaborate to proactively support wellbeing for the camper community and the staff who support them. This includes both providing direct support to campers as well as coaching for and side-by-side intervention with other members of the staff community.
- Monitor, support, and communicate the mental, emotional, and social health needs of the camp community as part of the Community Care Team.
- Work with camp coordinators to plan preventative self-care practices and build in additional supports/ resources as needed.
- Support seasonal staff training in relevant topic areas and provide support to a cohort of direct camper-serving staff (ex: cabin leaders) through informal check ins.
- Assist in communication plans for high-need areas of camp.
- Act as first responder to wellness crises in the community alongside the Community Care Team, health team, and central staff team.
- Assist in behavioral interventions and building behavior plans when needed.
- Develop and support implementation of programmatic activities.
- Assist in educating and training seasonal staff and campers in wellness best practices.
- Encourage leadership development, healthy community living, Best Self practices and balanced Four-Fold growth according to the philosophy of AYF by instruction and example.
- Protect the safety and health of campers by adhering to community expectations and following all policies and procedures outlined in the Staff Handbook, including our alcohol-, drug-, and tobacco-free camp policy and AYF COVID-19 Staff Eligibility and Expectations.
- Fully participate in and be present at all community activities and staff training in easily approachable by campers and easily accessible to the community
- Experience and training in mental health, social work, psychology, or counseling fields preferred (specialized licensing or credentials preferred but not required)
- Strong emotional and mental health. Must be adaptable and exhibit good judgement to determine what is in best interest of the campers in their care
- Effective communication with youth participants and adult staff across a wide range of identities and backgrounds. Ability to foster positive relationships
- Ability to understand, promote, actively include, and work effectively with diverse perspectives and identities
- Thorough understanding of critical issues shaping the lives of young people in the U.S., especially racial and gender equity, inclusivity, justice, ethics, and cultural competency
- Self-motivated, energetic, service-oriented team player willing to expand knowledge and responsibilities
Vision for All AYF Employees
- Show commitment to the AYF Core Values of safety, respect, responsibility, stewardship, and inclusion.
- Support the organization’s mission, vision, and ethics by displaying the following behaviors:
- Integrity, openness and honesty, listening and understanding, giving and receiving constructive feedback, seeking a balance between personal and professional lives, dependability, and accountability.
- Adhere to all policies and guidelines as described in the AYF employee handbook.
- Position is located at Miniwanca in Shelby, Michigan. The Miniwanca site necessitates the ability to move through rugged terrain.
- Community Care Specialists will live onsite during staff training and during the two camp sessions. All meals and housing provided.
Education, Experience, or Certification
- Must be 21 or older
- Experience in mental, emotional, and social wellness and support systems preferred
- Experience in behavioral crisis intervention response and planning preferred.
- Current certification in CPR and First Aid (training available for accepted applicants)
- Seasonal pay: $5,600
- Referral Bonus: $200 paid at the end of summer for each hired employee the applicant refers
- Community Care Specialists will receive one day off for every six days worked.
Recognizing the full value of all, the American Youth Foundation affords equal opportunity for employment and program participation to all individuals based on merit and / or eligibility without regard to race, color, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, familiar status, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, military status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required for this position. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.