The American Youth Foundation inspires people to discover and develop their personal best, to seek balance in mental, physical, social, and spiritual living and to make a positive difference in their communities and in the wider world.
The Facilities Assistants help in the maintenance and upkeep of the Merrowvista facilities and grounds during the summer season as part of the Facilities Team. Summer 2022 will include two weeks of paid staff training beginning June 16, followed by two three-week camp sessions ending August 14.
- Maintain the grounds, gardens, and common spaces by cleaning and supplying dining areas, living spaces, and bathrooms, as well as collecting trash, sorting recycling, and moving supplies.
- Demonstrate the attention and respect needed to learn how to use tools and chemicals safely and effectively. Maintain a clean and safe work area.
- Contribute to camp culture through projects, activities, and interpersonal relationships
- Promptly discuss any difficult situations that arise in camper or staff relationships and other areas of concern with the Coordinator and Director
- Establish personal and professional goals for the summer and work toward those goals
- Complete all job functions, including requested records, written reports, and other duties as assigned.
- Encourage leadership development, healthy community living, Best Self practices and balanced Four-Fold growth according to the philosophy of AYF by instruction and example.
- Protect the safety and health of campers by adhering to community expectations and following all policies and procedures outlined in the Staff Handbook, including our alcohol-, drug-, and tobacco-free camp policy and AYF COVID-19 Staff Eligibility and Expectations.
- Fully participate in and be present at all community activities and staff training
- Abilities to lift up to 50 pounds, work at heights and with power tools
- Able to drive vehicles around the site with appropriate speed and manner
- Strong physical and mental health. Must be adaptable and exhibit good judgement to direct campers and/or staff in an emergency
- Effective communication with youth participants and adult staff across a wide range of identities and backgrounds. Ability to foster positive relationships.
- Ability to understand, promote, actively include, and work effectively with diverse perspectives and identities
- Thorough understanding of critical issues shaping the lives of young people in the U.S., especially racial and gender equity, inclusivity, justice, ethics, and cultural competency
Vision for all AYF Employees:
- Show commitment to the AYF Core Valuesof safety, respect, responsibility, stewardship, and inclusion.
- Support the organization’s mission, vision, and ethics by displaying the following behaviors:
- Integrity, openness and honesty, listening and understanding, giving and receiving constructive feedback, seeking a balance between personal and professional lives, dependability, and accountability.
- Adhere to all policies and guidelines as described in the AYF employee handbook.
- Position is located at Merrowvista in Center Tuftonboro, New Hampshire. The Merrowvista site necessitates the ability to move through rugged terrain.
- Facilities Assistants have the option to live onsite during staff training and during the two camp sessions. Housing and meals are provided.
Education, Experience, or Certifications
- Must be 18 or older; 21 years or older preferred
- Comfortable with heights, heavy objects, and power tools
- Interest, knowledge, and skill in the use of tools, custodial duties, and maintenance preferred
- Current certification in CPR and First Aid (training available for accepted applicants)
- Seasonal pay: $4,000
- Referral Bonus: $200 paid at the end of summer for each hired employee the applicant refers
- Facilities Assistants will receive one day off for every six days worked.
Recognizing the full value of all, the American Youth Foundation affords equal opportunity for employment and program participation to all individuals based on merit and / or eligibility without regard to race, color, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, familiar status, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, military status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required for this position. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.