General Overview: The Facilities Assistants help in the maintenance and upkeep of the Merrowvista facilities and grounds during the summer season as part of the facilities team.
- Maintain a clean and safe work area
- Demonstrate the attention and respect needed to learn how to use tools and chemicals safely and effectively
- Assist in collecting trash, moving supplies, and sorting recycling multiple times a week
- Clean and supply bathrooms, dining areas and living spaces
- Maintain the grounds, gardens and common spaces
- Contribute to camp culture through projects, activities and interpersonal relationships
- Adapt to unforeseen circumstances in the event that program activities need to be altered
- Promptly discuss any difficult situations that arise in camper or staff relationships, discipline and other areas of concern with the Coordinator and Director
- Establish personal and professional goals for the summer and work toward those goals
- Complete all job functions, including requested records, written reports, and other duties as assigned.
- Encourage leadership development, healthy community living, and AYF mission and values driven practices.
- Protect the safety and health of campers by adhering to community expectations and following all policies and procedures outlined in the Staff Handbook, including our alcohol-, drug-, and tobacco-free camp policy and AYF COVID-19 Staff Eligibility and Expectations.
- Fully participate in and be present at all community activities and staff training
- Work within hazardous situations involving heights, heavy objects, and power tools
- Able to drive vehicles around the site with appropriate speed and manner
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs
- Ability to respond to and direct groups of kids and/or staff in an emergency
- Ability to stay physically and mentally motivated
- Strong emotional and mental health. Must be adaptable and exhibit good judgement to determine what is in best interest of the campers in their care.
- Effective communication with youth participants and adult staff across a wide range of identities and backgrounds. Ability to foster positive relationships.
- Ability to understand, promote, actively include, and work effectively with diverse perspectives and identities
- Thorough understanding of critical issues shaping the lives of young people in the U.S., especially racial and gender equity, inclusivity, justice, ethics, and cultural competency
- Position is located at Merrowvista in Center Tuftonboro, New Hampshire. The Merrowvista site necessitates the ability to move through rugged terrain.
- Facilities assistants will live onsite during staff training and during the two camp sessions.
Education, Experience, or Certifications
- Must be 18 or older (21 years or older preferred)
- Comfortable with heights, heavy objects, and power tools
- Interest, knowledge, and skill in the use of tools, custodial duties, and maintenance preferred
- Current certification in CPR and First Aid (training available for accepted applicants)
- Weekly pay: $500
- Facilities Assistants will receive one day off for every six days worked