The Accounting Clerk is a year-round position, responsible for managing onsite accounting (A/P, A/R, P & L’s), AYF account reconciliations, and supporting staff in budget management. A key responsibility is to ensure systems are followed to safeguard accurate records are kept and maintained for petty cash, purchasing, fixed assets, property, equipment, and inventory. Additionally, this position will be a strong team player with previous finance/ bookkeeping/accounting experience. The Accounting Clerk will serve as the knowledge base guiding AYF staff on financial software, systems, and processes.
Commitment to Equity and Inclusion
The American Youth Foundation enthusiastically welcomes staff and participants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and identities. AYF seeks to continually assess our practices through a broad lens of cultural competency and is committed to taking action and changing for the better of all. The AYF is firmly committed to maintaining a work atmosphere in which people of diverse backgrounds and lifestyles may grow personally and professionally, and all are highly encouraged to apply.
- Serve as a member of the AYF Finance team and AYF Miniwanca staff team
- Collaborate with budget managers and oversee finance systems to ensure accuracy and timeliness of data.
- Familiarize and become an expert on our financial software to be able to train and assist others in using the software and assisting staff in developing financial reports for the organization.
- Support preparation of budgeting software systems for creating the budget, revising the budget, and provide ongoing financial support to budget managers.
- Support the administration of seasonal payroll by collecting timesheets and/or service agreements. Supporting the Finance Manager to ensure documentation is complete.
- Manage aspects of A/P on a weekly basis, including entering approved A/P invoices into Financial Edge, ensuring A/P and Disbursements are handled in a timely manner in accordance with internal controls and in compliance with policies and procedures. Run A/P reports to review accuracy and provide to Finance Manager to run checks weekly.
- Work with the AYF Finance team to reconcile A/P Ledger balance to General Ledger balance and be able to explain variances.
- Assist with Community & School Programs (CSP) regarding A/R, including depositing payments, making revenue journal entries and reconciling the CSP enrollment report with Financial Edge.
- Reconcile various accounts, including credit card bank statement, main account bank statement and various bank accounts.
- Reconcile revenues in Financial Edge, review Income Statement to ensure accuracy and correct any errors and submit completed reports to Finance Manager.
- Review deposit transactions, with the assistance of the Client Relations Managers with CampBrain and Financial Edge, for the site and programs.
- Work with the Office Coordinators to review/enter petty cash transactions into Financial Edge and provide Finance Manager report out for reconciliations.
- Work with the Finance team to facilitate a smooth end to the fiscal/calendar year and annual audit.
- Provide project coordination for the Finance team as requested.
- Support and/or enter Seasonal Staff Payroll in Payroll Software for processing.
- Request, track and review all full-time and seasonal staff credit cards statements & expense reports monthly. Review & check credit card expense reports, verify receipts, and support Finance Manager in uploading information into Financial Edge from the online credit card report feature on the bank’s website.
- Support Finance Manager in reviewing Balance Sheet accounts for reconciliation, including, but not limited to A/R, petty cash, payroll clearing, CampBrain, and camper deposits.
- Responsible for requesting, tracking and recording all W-9s for vendors and ensuring .
- Work with Finance team members to research and set up new and updated accounting policies and procedures.
- Track, update and reconcile Facility Project expenses, creating and providing reports to Finance Manager for monthly review & creating P&L Reports.
- Complete month-end process and checklist within designated timeframe.
Reasonable accommodations may be made in order to enable a range of abilities to perform the essential functions.
- Attend P&L meetings to insure awareness of finances amongst all budget managers.
- Support in the logistics and implementation of maintaining current and archival financial files, both electronic and paper copies as per the established process and protocols.
- Strong commitment to serving internal and external customers.
- Demonstrated ability to obtain results through teamwork and independently.
- Knowledge of bookkeeping, accounting, and GAAP standards.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills: active listening, feedback skills.
- Strong written and communication skills, including public speaking.
- Effective organizational skills, attention to detail and management of deadlines.
- Demonstrated attention to accuracy.
- Self-motivated, energetic, service-oriented team player.
- Willing to expand knowledge and responsibilities.
Vision for all AYF Employees
- Show commitment to the AYF core values of best self, balanced living, safety, respect, responsibility, and inclusion.
- Support the organization’s mission, vision, and ethics by displaying the following behaviors:
- Integrity, openness and honesty, listening and understanding, giving and receiving constructive feedback, seeking a balance between personal and professional lives, dependability and accountability.
- Follow guidelines as described in AYF employee handbook.
Preferred Minimum Education, Experience and/or Certification
- 2-5 years’ experience and relevant education in accounting or bookkeeping.
- Demonstrated experience in developing training materials and guides, and training staff.
- General knowledge of financial systems and software preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in fiscal management.
- Able to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Walk significant distances.
- Primarily indoor and seasonal outdoor environments.
- Weekend work may be required seasonally.
- Travel as needed for meetings and site visits.
- Business casual, appropriate attire for setting
- Hours as required to meet job demands, generally Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm outside of peak program season.
- Competitive salary and benefits package are available, including;
- Health, dental, and vision insurance available
- Retirement package
- Family accommodations during on site required living periods
- Tuition discounts for dependents
To apply, email your resume to Finance Manager Dawn Hammersley at email@example.com.