Greetings from the Canaan Valley!
It’s Sunday, July 7th, and the kids are settling into life at camp with grace and many laughs. Something I value so much about my position is getting to have facetime with every village, those passing conversations and the times when we gather as a whole community give a real sense of how we’re doing. After a week of running through the daily schedule and exploring the different activities, we’re starting to send out even our little campers on their overnights. The Trailblazer hikes (both Liberty and Lafayette) returned from their adventures in the Ossipee Mountains and spirits were so high! They got to spend the afternoon having a beach party at our waterfront – jumping off the raft and bouncing beach balls all over Danhole Pond. The male Trailblazer villages headed off to Newfound Lake for a canoeing adventure on this BEAUTIFUL day (top 10 weather day, in my humble opinion). Our two-week Pioneer villages headed off on their camping nights, spreading out all around the 600 acres at various mountain and lakeside spots! I’m beyond excited to hear how those groups enjoyed their time together, and a break from the structured, high-energy days at camp. Here’s a quick update from all of our Four Trails villages out there discovering their own best selves in the wilderness:
- Ody A: Super supportive group, fun group dynamic as they face the challenges of a long hike
- Ody B: Moral high, enjoying quiet evenings at the campsites. Both groups will be receiving their resupply tomorrow and their packs will be heavy with sustenance and yumminess.
- Madison: Efficient group in camp and on trail. Celebrated 4th of July with hot dogs and corn on the cob on their bike trip.
- Nesuntabunt: Driving back from their hiking trip as I write this – group full of energy and lots of jokes.
- Shaw: Couldn’t have had better weather for their canoe trip – beautiful time, when the bugs weren’t out. Did some amazing service this morning around camp, staining their cabin and putting in water bars.
- Flag: Enjoying some chill afternoons after getting into camp on their hike trip
- Chocorua: Made good time, despite the challenging terrain. They returned today really proud of their efforts!
- Carter Dome: Great day yesterday taking a ferry out of Portland, and then hanging out on the beach in between biking.
- Voy A: Currently in Wolfeville, headed for Windsor tonight. Loving the scenery and working together great.
- Voy B: Camping in the fisherman city of Yarmouth tonight.
The general feeling around camp is one of calm and connection. I continue to be amazed at how the campers get used to change, overcome social complexity, and understand the Best Self philosophies here in their own ways. We’re right on track for a fun and inspiring summer camp experience. Feeling like campers have laid their roots down and are ready to take off in their growth here this season!