Recruitment and Retention Manager
Join an experienced, collaborative team of people committed to serving youth.
The Recruitment and Retention Manager is a year-round position, responsible for the successful recruitment of seasonal staff at Miniwanca. This position adheres to all applicable laws, regulations, and policies related to hiring and staffing. The Recruitment Manager partners with all Hiring Managers to identify needs for open positions, to source appropriate candidates, and in most cases, to vet candidate pools and present top talent to Hiring Managers.
Additionally, this position builds and implements a year-round retention plan for successful seasonal staff, reducing barriers to their return and advocating on behalf of their employment interests. This includes, but is not limited to, advocacy, support, and check in with all Miniwanca seasonal staff during the summer sessions.
Commitment to Equity and Inclusion
The American Youth Foundation enthusiastically welcomes staff and participants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and identities. The AYF seeks to continually assess our practices through a broad lens of cultural competency and is committed to acting and changing for the better of all. We are passionately committed to maintaining a work atmosphere in which people of diverse backgrounds and lifestyles may grow personally and professionally, and all are highly encouraged to apply.
• Research, develop, and implement effective recruitment strategies for seasonal staff, cultivating staffing pipelines with demographic representations that mirror participant populations.
• Identify and build relationships with organizations through which the AYF can recruit potential hires.
• Attend external recruitment events on behalf of Miniwanca. Host in-person and virtual recruitment events.
• Set up and maintain relationships with international staffing agencies to recruit and hire staff via J-1 visas.
Interviewing, Hiring, Onboarding
• Ensure all state licensing and American Camp Association accreditation standards are upheld to the highest standard throughout the entirety of the seasonal hiring and employment process.
• Work with Miniwanca colleagues to build and maintain all hiring systems via CampBrain and other platforms.
• Screening applicants, coordinating interviews with Hiring Managers, and performing reference and/or background checks.
• Assist Hiring Managers in the staff onboarding process.
• Assist supervisors with seasonal staff performance review protocols, performance improvement plans, and dismissals. Ensure accurate performance records are maintained each season.
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable a range of abilities to perform the essential functions.
• Build and maintain knowledge of current industry employment standards, policies, and laws.
• Collaborate across departments with all AYF teammates as needed.
• Build and maintain assigned cost centers and spend within budget.
• Attend all relevant team meetings.
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Ability to understand, promote, actively include, and work effectively with diverse perspectives and identities
• Effective communication with youth participants and adult staff across a wide range of identities and backgrounds. Ability to foster positive relationships.
• Strong interpersonal communication skills. Comfortable speaking one-on-one and in front of large groups, as well as with written correspondence across all media.
• Training, classes, or life experiences related to human resources
• Strong emotional and mental health, good judgment, and ability to problem solve
• Thorough understanding of critical issues shaping the lives of young people in the U.S., especially racial and gender equity, inclusivity, justice, ethics, and cultural competency
• Effective organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to prioritize competing demands, and deadline management
• Flexible, innovative, self-starter
Vision for all AYF Employees
• Show commitment to the AYF Core Values of safety, respect, responsibility, stewardship, and inclusion.
• Support the organization’s mission, vision, and ethics by displaying the following behaviors: Integrity, openness, and honesty, listening and understanding, giving, and receiving constructive feedback, seeking a balance between personal and professional lives, dependability, and accountability.
• Follow guidelines as described in the AYF employee handbook.
Education, Experience, or Certification Requirements
• High school diploma or equivalent required; bachelor’s degree preferred
• 1-3 years recruitment and/or human resources experience preferred
• Computer and database skills preferred
• Experience in a youth-oriented setting preferred
• Position location is in Shelby, Michigan at the Miniwanca campus. Position may be remote during non-peak times, required to work onsite during summer.
• Hours as required to meet job demands, generally Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. outside of peak program season. Occasional weekend and evening work as needed.
• Office as well as outdoor environment. The Miniwanca site necessitates the capacity to move through rugged terrain.
• Attire is business casual, judging what is appropriate for a variety of settings.
• Travel as needed for recruitment and meetings.
Competitive salary and benefits package are available, including:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Retirement package
- Family accommodation available if the individual desires to live onsite during summer program season
- Tuition discounts for dependents
Recognizing the full value of all, the American Youth Foundation affords equal opportunity for employment and program participation to all individuals based on merit and / or eligibility without regard to race, color, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, familiar status, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, military status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Please send a resume to Miniwanca Director of Operations Griffin Vogler at firstname.lastname@example.org.