The Facilities Team is made up of assistants and specialists who help in the maintenance and upkeep of the Miniwanca facilities and grounds during the summer season as part of the Facilities Team. Summer 2023 will include 2 to 3 weeks of paid staff training, followed by two three-week camp sessions ending August 6.
- Maintain the grounds, gardens, and common spaces by cleaning and supplying dining areas, living spaces, and bathrooms, as well as collecting trash, sorting recycling, and moving supplies.
- Demonstrate the attention and respect needed to learn how to use tools and chemicals safely and effectively. Maintain a clean and safe work area.
- Contribute to camp culture through projects, activities, and interpersonal relationships
- Promptly discuss any difficult situations that arise in camper or staff relationships and other areas of concern with the Coordinator and Director
- Establish personal and professional goals for the summer and work toward those goals
- Complete all job functions, including requested records, written reports, and other duties as assigned.
- Encourage leadership development, healthy community living, Best Self practices and balanced Four-Fold growth according to the philosophy of AYF by instruction and example.
- Protect the safety and health of campers by adhering to community expectations and following all policies and procedures outlined in the Staff Handbook, including our alcohol-, drug-, and tobacco-free camp policy and AYF COVID-19 Staff Eligibility and Expectations.
- Fully participate in and be present at all community activities and staff training
- Abilities to lift up to 50 pounds, work at heights and with power tools
- Able to drive vehicles around the site with appropriate speed and manner
- Strong physical and mental health. Must be adaptable and exhibit good judgement to direct campers and/or staff in an emergency
- Effective communication with youth participants and adult staff across a wide range of identities and backgrounds. Ability to foster positive relationships.
- Ability to understand, promote, actively include, and work effectively with diverse perspectives and identities
- Thorough understanding of critical issues shaping the lives of young people in the U.S., especially racial and gender equity, inclusivity, justice, ethics, and cultural competency
Education, Experience, or Certifications
- Must be 18 or older; 21 years or older preferred
- Comfortable with heights, heavy objects, and power tools
- Interest, knowledge, and skill in the use of tools, custodial duties, and maintenance preferred
- Current certification in CPR and First Aid (training available for accepted applicants)
- Weekly pay: $450 to $600 depending on role
- Referral Bonus: $200 paid at the end of summer for each hired employee the applicant refers
- Facilities Assistants will receive one day off for every six days worked.
What should I know before applying?
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! We want you to get the full camp experience while you are here. Eat meals with a cabin on your time off, join in the fun of the talent show, hike the trails and dunes, and spend some time in the craft house. We are one big community here at Miniwanca.
Yes, food and housing is provided for the entirety of your contract with Miniwanca.
Miniwanca will pick up seasonal staff on specific days from local airports and bus stations. If you are flying internationally or do not have a car and are interested in using public transportation to get to camp please talk to your supervisors about what options are available to you.
It is not uncommon for Facilities Team members to experience camp and Miniwanca for the very first time. Many of our staff are international and have not traveled out of their home country before. Facilities Team members should be open to new experiences and ways of operating when they come to Miniwanca, especially if this is their first time at Miniwanca or at summer camp in general.
The work week is six days with one day off.
Miniwanca is able to work with a variety of dietary needs and allergies. At each meal, Miniwanca will provide a dairy free, gluten free, and vegetarian option. Miniwanca is a peanut and tree nut aware facility and will not serve anything with those products in it. Some snacks and desserts may be created in a facility that uses peanuts or tree nuts, and safe alternatives will be offered as needed.