Four Trails Coordinator
The American Youth Foundation inspires people to discover and develop their personal best, to seek balance in mental, physical, social and spiritual living, and to make a positive difference in their communities and in the wider world.
The Merrowvista Four Trails Coordinator role is a year-round position, responsible for designing, implementing, and supervising an inclusive, residential, high school youth development program at Camp Merrowvista each summer. The role will primarily focus on the running of both the adventure trip program and the in-camp service and leadership programs. In addition, this position will support the full camps team in hiring, recruiting and planning for all summer programming. In the spring and fall program season, this role will also act as a program facilitator or coordinator on the Community and School Programs (CSP) team. This position serves as a role model for all program staff and assists program director(s) and coordinator(s) in coaching and supporting other members of the team.
Commitment to Equity and Inclusion
The American Youth Foundation enthusiastically welcomes staff and participants of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and identities. AYF seeks to continually assess our practices through a broad lens of cultural competency and is committed to taking action and changing for the better of all. We are firmly committed to maintaining a work atmosphere in which people of diverse backgrounds and lifestyles may grow personally and professionally and all are highly encouraged to apply.
- Manage and oversee all components of the Four Trails wilderness and leadership program and the in camp service and leadership program, including staff hiring and supervision, program design, staff training, logistical management and safety management.
- Conduct safe programs, operating according to all program and risk management policies and procedures of AYF, the American Camp Association (ACA), and all pertinent local, state, federal or other regulatory agencies.
- Serve as a role model of Merrowvista policies, procedures and expectations.
- Lead other program elements, including high ropes/climbing tower management, staff coaching, and/or facilitation for various assigned programs.
- Oversee the maintenance and upkeep of Four Trails equipment and gear.
- Support the camp director in medical review and camper physical and mental readiness assessment.
- Support the program director(s) and coordinator(s) with maintaining and evaluating the safety and quality of programs.
- Create and maintain positive relationships with existing families and participants with a focus on retention.
- Assist with staff and participant recruitment.
- Collaborate with other site departments (office, food program and facilities) regarding program needs.
- Participate in regular meetings with the four trails manager.
- Participate in weekly planning meetings with program director, communicating program needs and concerns timely and appropriately.
- Attend and fully participate in all program team and staff meetings.
Reasonable accommodations may be made in order to enable a range of abilities to perform the essential functions.
- Program support including curriculum development and program design.
- Responsible for the scouting of all new trips with the guidance of the four trails manager.
- Other duties and projects as assigned or approved by the program directors of Merrowvista.
- Create and maintain assigned budget line and follow annual AYF budget as determined by budget supervisor.
- Assist with general facility upkeep, openings and closings.
- Represent the site programs and AYF at regional, local and national meeting and events.
- Serve as a member of the Site Emergency Response Team as needed.
- Effective written and oral communication skills to serve as primary contact for clients.
- Experience supervising staff, good at public speaking.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities at once.
- Effective organizational skills, attention to detail and management of deadlines.
- Self-motivated, energetic, service oriented, team player, able to take initiative and work independently.
- Demonstrate exceptional coaching and interpersonal skills: active listening, experience delivering feedback.
- Demonstrate good judgment.
- Ability to hold specific job responsibilities while also holding larger organizational picture and vision.
- Group processing skills.
- Demonstrate prudent judgement, ability to solve problems and to assess risk.
- Willingness to expand knowledge and responsibilities.
Vision for all AYF Employees
- Show commitment to the AYF core values of best self, balanced living, safety, respect, responsibility, and inclusion.
- Support the organization’s mission, vision, and ethics by displaying the following behaviors:
- Integrity, openness and honesty, listening and understanding, giving and receiving constructive feedback, seeking a balance between personal and professional lives, dependability and accountability.
- Follow guidelines as described in AYF employee handbook.
Preferred Minimum Education, Experience and/or Certification
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 2-3 year’s direct or related experience.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- AYF internship / per diem program facilitation experience or trip leading experience.
- Wilderness First Responder certification.
- Lifeguarding certification.
- Prior experience working with youth
- Computer and database skills
- Position work is located in Center Tuftonboro, NH.
- Part-time office, part-time outdoor environment.
- Merrowvista’s site necessitates the capacity to move through rugged terrain.
- Business casual, appropriate attire for multiple, differing settings.
- Hours as required to meet job demands, generally Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm outside of peak program season.
- Evening and overnight duty during the peak program season – ability to live on site and work six-day weeks in peak season.
- Travel as needed for recruitment and meetings.
- Competitive salary and benefits package, including:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance available
- Retirement package
- Family accommodations during summer program
- Tuition discounts for dependents
Recognizing the full value of all, the American Youth Foundation affords equal opportunity for employment and program participation to all individuals on the basis of merit and/or eligibility without regard to race, color, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, familial status, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, military status, or any other basis prohibited by law.