Camper Connection Coordinator
The American Youth Foundation inspires people to discover and develop their personal best, to seek balance in mental, physical, social, and spiritual living and to make a positive difference in their communities and in the wider world.
This Camper Connection Coordinator will work with the Mental, Emotional and Social Health team and Program Coordinators to ensure the support of campers who hold historically marginalized identities (BIPOC, LGBTQ+, etc.). Summer 2022 will include two to three weeks of paid staff training, followed by two three-week camp sessions ending August 14.
- Participate fully as a member of the Central Staff Team, supporting community expectations and fellow Central Staff members
- Act as a bridge between the Mental, Emotional, and Social Health team and Program Coordinators, communicating important information about the wellbeing of campers who hold historically marginalized identities.
- Be active in the camp community, building rapport with these campers during camp and communicating with their families.
- Communicate with parents as partners around issues that involve their children, maintaining an ideal client relationship
- Establish personal and professional goals for the summer and work toward those goals, as well as participate in total camp program while at Merrowvista
- Complete all job functions and other duties as assigned
- Encourage leadership development, healthy community living, Best Self practices and balanced Four-Fold growth according to the philosophy of AYF by instruction and example.
- Protect the safety and health of campers by adhering to community expectations and following all policies and procedures outlined in the Staff Handbook, including our alcohol-, drug-, and tobacco-free camp policy and AYF COVID-19 Staff Eligibility and Expectations.
- Fully participate in and be present at all community activities and staff training and instruct occasional skilled activities.
- Strong emotional and mental health. Must be adaptable and exhibit good judgement to determine what is in best interest of the campers in their care.
- Interest and passion for working with youth, implementing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion initiatives, providing support, and advocating for others
- Ability to respond to and direct campers and staff in an emergency
- Effective communication with youth participants and adult staff across a wide range of identities and backgrounds. Ability to foster positive relationships.
- Ability to understand, promote, actively include, and work effectively with diverse perspectives and identities
- Thorough understanding of critical issues shaping the lives of young people in the U.S., especially racial and gender equity, inclusivity, justice, ethics, and cultural competency
Vision for All AYF Employees:
- Show commitment to the AYF Core Values of safety, respect, responsibility, stewardship, and inclusion.
- Support the organization’s mission, vision, and ethics by displaying the following behaviors:
- Integrity, openness and honesty, listening and understanding, giving and receiving constructive feedback, seeking a balance between personal and professional lives, dependability, and accountability.
- Adhere to all policies and guidelines as described in the AYF employee handbook.
- Position is located at Merrowvista in Center Tuftonboro, New Hampshire. The Merrowvista site necessitates the ability to move through rugged terrain.
- Coordinators will live onsite during staff training and during the two camp sessions. Housing and meals are provided.
Education, Experience, or Certifications
- High school graduate and at least 21 years old
- Demonstrated leadership ability and commitment to balanced personal development and excellence.
- Previous experience working with children, adolescents and/or young required
- Strong teaching/facilitating and leadership skills preferred
- Current certification in CPR and First Aid (training available for accepted candidates)
- Seasonal rate: $6,750
- $200 referral bonus paid at the end of summer for each hired employee the applicant refers
- Coordinators will receive one day off for every six days worked when onsite.
Recognizing the full value of all, the American Youth Foundation affords equal opportunity for employment and program participation to all individuals based on merit and / or eligibility without regard to race, color, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, familiar status, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, military status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required for this position. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.