The American Youth Foundation inspires people to discover and develop their personal best, to seek balance in mental, physical, social and spiritual living, and to make a positive difference in their communities and in the wider world.
The Accounting Clerk is a year-round position, responsible for managing onsite accounting (A/P, A/R, P & L’s), AYF account reconciliations, and supporting staff in budget management. A key responsibility is to insure systems are followed to safeguard accurate records are kept and maintained for petty cash, purchasing, fixed assets, property, equipment, and inventory. Additionally, this position will be a strong team player with previous finance/ bookkeeping/ accounting experience. The Accounting Clerk will serve as the knowledge base guiding AYF staff on financial software, systems and processes.
Commitment to Equity and Inclusion
The American Youth Foundation enthusiastically welcomes staff and participants of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and identities. AYF seeks to continually assess our practices through a broad lens of cultural competency and is committed to taking action and changing for the better of all. We are firmly committed to maintaining a work atmosphere in which people of diverse backgrounds and lifestyles may grow personally and professionally and all are highly encouraged to apply.
- Serve as a member of the AYF Finance team and AYF Merrowvista staff team
- Collaborate with Merrowvista budget managers and oversee finance systems to insure accuracy and timeliness of data
- Familiarize and become an expert-on-staff with financial software to be able to train and assist others in using the software and assisting staff in developing financial reports for the organization
- Prepare budgeting software systems for creating the budget, revising the budget, and provide ongoing financial support to budget managers
- Coordinate employee incidences resulting in Workers Comp claims
- Support the administration of payroll by collecting approved timesheets for all Merrowvista staff and submitting the timesheets to the Finance Director in accordance to the prepared payroll schedule and system
- Manage all aspects of Merrowvista’s A/P on a weekly basis, including: entering approved A/P invoices into Financial Edge, insuring A/P and Disbursements are handled in a timely manner in accordance with internal controls and in compliance with policies and procedures, and run A/P checks after cash requirement reports are approved by the Finance Director.
- Work with the AYF Finance team to reconcile A/P Ledger balance to General Ledger balance, and be able to explain variances.
- Assist with Community & School Programs (CSP) in regards to A/R, including: depositing payments, making revenue journal entries and reconciling the CSP enrollment report with Financial Edge.
- Reconcile various accounts, including: Merrowvista credit card bank statement, main account bank statement and various bank accounts.
- Reconcile all revenues in Financial Edge, review Merrowvista Income Statement to insure accuracy and correcting any errors in A/P, identify and look into variances.
- Reconcile all deposit transactions for Merrowvista, with the assistance of the Merrowvista Registrar, with CampBrain and Financial Edge, for the site and programs.
- Develop a P&L report in PowerPlan for all staff to use, and create, run and check monthly P&L reports for Merrowvista serving as a resource to Cost Center Managers in budget oversight.
- Work with the Merrowvista Office Coordinator to balance and replenish the petty cash account, entering paid petty cash transactions into Financial Edge.
- Work with the Finance team to facilitate a smooth end to the fiscal/calendar year and annual audit; including, but not limited to: determining, processing and verifying 1099s for all AYF qualified vendors.
- Provide project coordination for the Finance team as requested.
- Enter Seasonal Staff Payroll in Payroll Software for processing
- Request, track and maintain all Merrowvista full-time and seasonal staff credit cards, including: expiration, credit limits, and deactivating cards in a timely manner; and receive all Merrowvista monthly credit card reports, check receipts, and upload information into Financial Edge from the online credit card report feature on the bank’s website.
- Train and manage seasonal staff in financial systems, particularly use of AYF purchasing cards and coding purchases.
- Review Balance Sheet accounts for reconciliation, including, but not limited to Merrowvista’s: A/R, petty cash, payroll clearing, CampBrain, and camper deposits.
- Responsible for requesting, tracking and recording all W-9s for Merrowvista vendors.
- Work with Finance team members to research and set up new and updated accounting policies and procedures.
- Track, update and reconcile all Facility Project expenses, creating and providing reports for monthly review.
- Complete month-end process and checklist within designated timeframe.
Reasonable accommodations may be made in order to enable a range of abilities to perform the essential functions.
- Schedule and facilitate P&L meetings to insure awareness of Merrowvista finances amongst all budget managers.
- Support in the logistics and implementation of maintaining current and archival financial files, both electronic and paper copies as per the established process and protocols.
- Represent the site and AYF at local, regional, and national meetings and events.
- Strong commitment to serving internal and external customers.
- Demonstrated ability to obtain results through team work and independently.
- Knowledge of bookkeeping, accounting and GAAP standards.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills: active listening, feedback skills.
- Strong written and communication skills, including public speaking.
- Effective organizational skills, attention to detail and management of deadlines.
- Demonstrated attention to accuracy.
- Self-motivated, energetic, service oriented team player.
- Willing to expand knowledge and responsibilities.
Vision for all AYF Employees
- Show commitment to the AYF core values of best self, balanced living, safety, respect, responsibility, and inclusion.
- Support the organization’s mission, vision, and ethics by displaying the following behaviors:
- Integrity, openness and honesty, listening and understanding, giving and receiving constructive feedback, seeking a balance between personal and professional lives, dependability and accountability.
- Follow guidelines as described in AYF employee handbook.
Preferred Minimum Education, Experience and/or Certification
- 2-5 years’ experience and relevant education in accounting or bookkeeping.
- Demonstrated experience in developing training materials and guides, and training staff.
- In-depth knowledge of financial systems and software preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in fiscal management.
- Position work is located in Center Tuftonboro, NH.
- Primarily indoor and seasonal outdoor environments.
- Weekend work required seasonally.
- Travel as needed for meetings and site visits.
- Business casual, appropriate attire for setting
- Hours as required to meet job demands, generally Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm outside of peak program season.
- Competitive salary and benefits package, including:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance available
- Retirement package
- Family accommodations during summer program
- Tuition discounts for dependents
Recognizing the full value of all, the American Youth Foundation affords equal opportunity for employment and program participation to all individuals on the basis of merit and/or eligibility without regard to race, color, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, familial status, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, military status, or any other basis prohibited by law.