Merrowvista Program Director
The American Youth Foundation inspires people to discover and develop their personal best, to seek balance in mental, physical, social, and spiritual living, and to make a positive difference in their communities and in the wider world.
The Program Director safely and consistently delivers Merrowvista’s experiential, positive youth development Summer Camp and Community and School program through strong leadership of seasonal staff teams, and excellent communication with participants, families, partner schools, and other stakeholders. The Program Director will co-direct with the current Program Director through the summer 2022 season before taking full leadership beginning in fall 2022.
- Program leadership: Oversee the methods and delivery of the Summer Camps program and the Community and Schools program.
- People leadership: Appropriately hire necessary team (staff, volunteers, partners, etc.) to meet current needs. Collaborate with the Recruitment and Retention Manager to develop systems and approaches to recruit, develop, manage, and retain seasonal staff. Build and motivate a qualified, capable program team at the site.
- Site leadership: Works collaboratively with the Merrowvista Director of Operations to build and maintain a healthy workplace culture, while providing leadership, training, and direction for the site team as they design, market, staff, and execute the programs and care of the assets of the AYF.
Preferred Minimum Education, Experience and/or Certification
- Experience and education in youth development and experiential learning with evidence of direct work with youth.
- Training, classes, or life experiences addressing the most pressing issues shaping the lives of young people within the current U.S. context, including racial and gender equity, inclusivity, restorative justice, and cultural competency.
- Experience leading, motivating, engaging, and building the capabilities of team members.
Necessary Capabilities for Success
- Ensures all programs adhere to promised outcomes while working in accordance with all licensing and accreditation standards.
- Values teamwork and knows how to act as a leadership team member and how to lead teams.
- Possesses strong program design and facilitation skills that enable students to draw learning from their experiences. Is effective with youth participants and applies techniques that enable youth to recognize and use their abilities in positive ways, while also helping them to appreciate the unique contributions of others.
- Sets high expectations of performance for the program team and staff.
- Fosters direct and open communication, invites diversity of opinion, and engages in constructive debate.
- Has a strong grasp of financial oversight and is able to build and manage a detailed budget for the team.
- Uses excellent marketing and communications skills to recruit participants and staff members.
- Communicates clearly and effectively with participants, families, and staff.
- Is willing and able to live onsite during program seasons for extended periods of time.
- Leads with integrity – is fair, honest, ethical, and principled.
Vision for all AYF Employees
- Support the organization’s mission, vision, and core values.
- Follow guidelines and policies as described in AYF employee handbook.
Competitive salary and benefits package are available, including:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Retirement package
- Family accommodations during on-site required living periods
- Tuition discounts for dependents
To apply, please email a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commitment to Equity and Inclusion
The American Youth Foundation enthusiastically welcomes staff and participants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and identities. AYF seeks to continually assess our practices through a broad lens of cultural competency and is committed to taking action and changing for the better of all. We are firmly committed to maintaining a work atmosphere in which people of diverse backgrounds and lifestyles may grow personally and professionally, and all are highly encouraged to apply.
Recognizing the full value of all, the American Youth Foundation affords equal opportunity for employment and program participation to all individuals on the basis of merit and / or eligibility without regard to race, color, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, familiar status, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, military status, or any other basis prohibited by law.