Director of Operations
*Please note: AYF currently has two Director of Operations positions available. One position located at the Shelby, Michigan campus, Miniwanca, and another at the Tuftonboro, NH campus, Merrowvista.
The American Youth Foundation inspires people to discover and develop their personal best, to seek balance in mental, physical, social and spiritual living, and to make a positive difference in their communities and in the wider world.
The Director of Operations is a year-round position, responsible for providing support for all functions at the site, ensuring the highest standards of quality, safety, and cost effectiveness. The Director of Operation’s primary purpose is to directly manage the departments and areas of food program, finance, facilities, office administration, and IT. Additionally, this position will have command and awareness over research and trends in youth development that can serve as the knowledge base guiding long term business decisions. The Director of Operations will promote the site locally, regionally, and nationally.
Commitment to Equity and Inclusion
The American Youth Foundation enthusiastically welcomes staff and participants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and identities. AYF seeks to continually assess our practices through a broad lens of cultural competency and is committed to taking action and changing for the better of all. We are firmly committed to maintaining a work atmosphere in which people of diverse backgrounds and lifestyles may grow personally and professionally and all are highly encouraged to apply.
- Conduct safe operations according to risk management practices, AYF policies and procedures, American Camping Association (ACA), and Association for Experimental Education (AEE) standards as well as all pertinent local, state, federal, or other regulatory agencies.
- Recruit, train, supervise, and develop site based food program, office administration, and facility maintenance personnel.
- Oversee department managers in generating, implementing, and adapting respective budgets.
- Identify the needs and priorities of programs relative to operations in conjunction with department managers and program directors.
- Develop policies and procedures pertaining to the daily operations of all managed departments.
- Understand and manage all communication systems to include internet service providers, phone systems, and radios.
- Monitor and evaluate team systems to increase efficiency and quality while consistently enhancing client experience.
- Maintain a hospitable and welcoming environment for alumni, all constituent groups, and the local community, while also ensuring program quality, privacy, and safety.
- Live on site during high volume summer months, roughly seven weeks, folding into the “Site Director” role and rotation. (Housing and meals are provided for employee and their dependents for this time period.)
Reasonable accommodations may be made in order to enable a range of abilities to perform the essential functions.
- Schedule and facilitate site meetings to insure smooth integration of facility and operation resources with program requirements.
- Support in the logistics and implementation of the seasonal transportation function.
- Represent the site and AYF at local, regional, and national meetings and events.
- Strong commitment to serving internal and external customers.
- Demonstrated ability to obtain results through effective leadership and communication.
- Knowledge of long-range and phased linear planning process.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills: active listening, feedback skills.
- Strong written and communication skills, including public speaking.
- Effective organizational skills, attention to detail and management of deadlines.
- Self-motivated, energetic, service oriented team player.
- Willing to expand knowledge and responsibilities.
Vision for all AYF Employees
- Show commitment to the AYF core values of best self, balanced living, safety, respect, responsibility, and inclusion.
- Support the organization’s mission, vision, and ethics by displaying the following behaviors:
- Integrity, openness and honesty, listening and understanding, giving and receiving constructive feedback, seeking a balance between personal and professional lives, dependability and accountability.
- Follow guidelines as described in AYF employee handbook.
Preferred Minimum Education, Experience and/or Certification
- 5-10 years’ experience and relevant education in related fields such as hospitality, facility operations, and/or office administration.
- Demonstrated experience in recruiting, supervising, and developing staff.
- Extensive knowledge of IT systems, facility maintenance means and methods, and food service is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in financial management.
- Demonstrated experience in all facets of risk management.
- Able to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Walk significant distances.
- Primarily indoor and seasonal outdoor environments.
- Weekend work required seasonally.
- Travel as needed for meetings and site visits.
- Business casual, appropriate attire for setting
- Hours as required to meet job demands, generally Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm outside of peak program season.
- Evening and overnight duty during the peak program season – ability to live on site and work six-day weeks in peak season.
- Competitive salary and benefits package are available, including;
- Health, dental, and vision insurance available
- Retirement package
- Family accommodations during on site required living periods
- Tuition discounts for dependents
Recognizing the full value of all, the American Youth Foundation affords equal opportunity for employment and program participation to all individuals on the basis of merit and/or eligibility without regard to race, color, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, familial status, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, military status, or any other basis prohibited by law.