The American Youth Foundation inspires people to discover and develop their personal best, to seek balance in mental, physical, social and spiritual living and to make a positive difference in their communities and in the wider world.
The Communications Manager is a full time, year-round position responsible for developing and implementing the American Youth Foundation’s communications strategy through print and digital media and publications. This position is responsible for coordinating production of publications including the annual Founder Fire magazine, program brochures, and promotional materials. Will oversee and maintain ayf.com website and implement social media strategy for AYF programs.
Commitment to Equity and Inclusion
The American Youth Foundation enthusiastically welcomes staff and participants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and identities. AYF seeks to continually assess our practices through a broad lens of cultural competency and is committed to taking action and changing for the better of all. We are firmly committed to maintaining a work atmosphere in which people of diverse backgrounds and lifestyles may grow personally and professionally and all are highly encouraged to apply.
- Work with Director of Advancement to plan and implement AYF communications strategy
- Ensure quality of AYF brand through intentional design and production of brochures and publications
- Create written content and supervise the production of the Founder Fire magazine and annual report
- Create and implement social media strategy, supervising the use of media platforms for each of the AYF programs
- Oversee the use of digital tools including AYF website (ayf.com)
- Support marketing efforts for AYF camps and programs through creation of digital and print media
- Serve as project manager for external video crew to create new promotional video
- Contribute to the overall goals of the AYF as a member of the Advancement team
Reasonable accommodations may be made in order to enable a range of abilities to perform the essential functions.
- Able to communicate effectively with AYF staff, participants, families, and stakeholders
- Able to work effectively with people from diverse backgrounds
- Other duties as agreed upon or as assigned by the supervisor
Vision for all AYF Employees
- Show commitment to the AYF core values of best self, balanced living, safety, respect, responsibility, and inclusion.
- Support the organization’s mission, vision, and ethics by displaying the following behaviors:
- Integrity, openness and honesty, listening and understanding, giving and receiving constructive feedback, seeking a balance between personal and professional lives, dependability and accountability.
- Follow guidelines as described in AYF employee handbook.
Preferred Minimum Education, Experience and/or Licensure/Certification
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or related field
- Minimum 5 years work experience in public relations, communications or related field
- Demonstrated project management skills with the ability to meet deadlines and maintain quality
- Excellent written and oral communications skills with the ability to interact at all levels of the organization
- Ability to work independently as well as in teams
- Proficiency in Word, Excel and PowerPoint and other relevant software
- Proficiency with social media and website management including content publishing, basic html and image editing preferred
- Ability to work long hours
- Ability to hike 2-3 miles in outdoor terrain
- Ability to lift 25 pounds
- Strong commitment to supporting and collaborating with internal and external stakeholders
- Strong written and oral communication skills, public speaking
- Effective organizational skills, attention to detail and management of deadlines
- Self-motivated, energetic, service oriented, team player, able to work independently
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills: active listening, experience delivering and receiving feedback
- Willingness to expand knowledge and responsibilities
- Demonstrated ability to obtain results through effective leadership and communication
- Primarily office, occasional outdoor environment
- Hours as required to meet job demands, generally Monday through Friday 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM
- Evening, weekend and overnight duty during the program season
- Travel as needed to the AYF sites, events, and training
- Business casual, appropriate attire for setting
- Competitive salary and benefits package available, including:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Retirement package
- Tuition discounts for dependents
Recognizing the full value of all, the American Youth Foundation affords equal opportunity for employment and program participation to all individuals on the basis of merit and/or eligibility without regard to race, color, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, familial status, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, military status, or any other basis prohibited by law.